Alpharetta & Old Milton County Historical Society
   
 

Camp and Manning – Arthur Camp (1800-1868) and his sister Mary Camp Manning (1811-1900) sold 60 acres to the new Milton County in April 1858. Arthur Camp owned the land where Rest Haven Cemetery is now located. Descendants of Mary Camp Manning still reside in Alpharetta. One branch of the family has lived in the Lewis – Manning House since 1905.

Skelton - Oliver P. Skelton (1817-  ) was appointed as Alpharetta’s first postmaster in 1858. He was elected as Milton County’s first Ordinary in 1869 and served for four years. As a physician, Skelton treated patients during a smallpox outbreak between 1863 and 1867. His 1856 Greek Revival-style home, the Skelton – Teasley House, sits on one of the highest point in the city at 61 Roswell Street.

Teasley - Isham Teasley (1807-1883) owned a grist mill, sawmill and cotton gin in Farm House a small community located near what would later become Alpharetta. In 1871, he deeded property to the First United Methodist of Alpharetta at the southeast of North Main and Cumming Streets.

Photo on left is Dodge and Nannie Hayes Teasley with children Beatrice, Thelma and Fannie. Nannie became Alpharetta's first female postmaster in 1898.



Shown here are Jasper Newton and Frances Gillespie Dorris. The Dorris family settled here in the early 1830s.

The Clark Burnett family lived on Burnett’s
Mountain, now called Preston Ridge.

The family of John Franklin and Mary Catherine Shirley gather at the Shirley home on Union Hill Road in 1893.


Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John were sons of early pioneer David Hardy Strickland.

Sam Spence, Mary Spence Bailey, and Ruth Spence Peevy Wills are photographed with the family Whippett automobile.

Out for a Sunday drive are Foster and Josephine Jones, Effie Shirley Bates and William Newton Bates.
 
AHS Location
Mansell House and Gardens
1835 Old Milton Parkway
Alpharetta, GA 30009
get directions
 
AHS Hours
Mon 11:00 - 2:00
Wed and Fri 10:00 - 2:00
or by appointment.
To schedule an appointment, call 770-475-4663 or use the contact form
 
Calendar
 
 
open calendar of events
 
© 2016, Alpharetta & Old Milton County Historical Society, Inc.